3.2 -> 10.21 + hardware change?
I'm planning an upgrade to 10.21, but I don't really feel comfortable with the process, so I'm hoping someone can give me a little guidance...
I've been running a stable 3.2 setup for quite some time now. I have considered upgrading to 4 and then 5 several times, but hesitated because I was afraid I'd break something (like lose my recordings files or metadata).
Anyway, now I feel I *need* to upgrade for a number of reasons:
- Need to move to other hardware (other m/b with room for a new DVB-tuner)
- Need MythTV 0.21 to get better use of the DVB-tuner I'm adding
- Can't install MythTV 0.20 on my new Acer AspireOne
- I'm too far behind the latest version:-)
I have read the guide http://mythdora.com/?q=node/2008 , but since it's a bit old I was wondering if it applies to the new version as well?
My current setup is a combined backend/frontend with two disks:
- 320 Gb mounted as /video/recordings/ holding my recordings and nothing else
- 160 Gb system disk with "everything else" including /video/ with /video/ holding all other data files - photos, an iTunes library etc..
In my future setup I would like to install Mythdora to a new 160Gb disk but keep my recordings disk.
In a not too distant future I will probably replace the recordings disk or add a NAS to the setup depending on the financial situation.
My primary concerns are:
- Setup - the guide says to install the new version and then mount the disk in the old setup. Should I install on the old or the new machine - if I install on the new machine, should I move my hardware (tuners) before installing?
- Disks - I would like to move to the standard location setup for recordings and other files, but what happens to the database if I change the mount points? - can I just change the pointers in the MythTV setup to the new directories or does each recording point directly to the actual directory?
- NAS - should I do something to prepare during my upgrade or can I keep the old disk and somehow add another recording location when I get the NAS (I remember reading something about more recording storages in 0.21)?
- DVB-tuner - should I install it during the upgrade or wait and add it after everything else is working?
- Anything else I forget to mention/think about or things I could do smarter?