How I set a fixed IP Address in MD10.21
In MD5, there was an installation option to set your network settings along with all the other computer settings. In MD10.21, this option appears to be absent.
In the interest of helping others, here are the steps that I used to set a fixed IP Address for MD10.21.
1) Install MD10.21 from DVD. Go to the point where the computer install finishes and the MythTV configuration starts. Exit the MythTV configuration to get to the gnome desktop.
2) Applications >> System Tools >> Terminal
3) type 'su root'
4) enter root password
5) type 'ifconfig'. This shows you the current network settings. Mine showed that the computer was getting its IP Address via DHCP from my router.
6) type 'cd /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices'
7) edit the file corresponding to your network card. I used 'vi ifcfg-eth0'.
8) set ONBOOT=yes
9) set BOOTPROTO=static
10) set NETMASK, IPADDR, and GATEWAY to the appropriate values for your network.
For referencce, my ifcfg-eth0 file reads:
11) Exit the editor. I used '(esc)wq' to save the file and leave the vi editor.
12) Disable the Network Manager because it will overwrite your changes. The following steps will do this.
13) Type 'chkconfig NetworkManager off'
14) Type 'chkconfig network on'
15) Now you need to set your DNS servers. You can add up to three. The following steps will do this.
16) Edit /etc/resolv.conf. I used 'vi /etc/resolv.conf'.
17) Enter nameservers one per line as such 'nameserver 126.96.36.199'. Note, if you are using vi, you first need to type 'i' to get into insert mode.
18) Save the file and exit. I used '(esc)wq'.
There are probably much better ways of doing this, but this worked for me. If you have improvements to my steps that would help others, please feel free to post them.